What is the Newcomer Reception Centre?
The Newcomer Reception Centre is a place where students and their families who are new to Waterloo Region are welcomed into Waterloo Region’s Catholic school community.
What happens at the Newcomer Reception Centre?
At the Newcomer Reception Centre the English as a Second Language (ESL) Teacher will:
- (With the help of an interpreter – if required) Provide information about the school system in Ontario and in the Waterloo Catholic District School Board;
- Record information about your child’s school history;
- Assess your child’s English language (speaking, reading and writing) and math skills.
These first assessments allow students to show what they already know and how they approach learning.
A Settlement Worker from the YMCA’s Settlement & Education Partnership Waterloo Region (SEPWR) will:
- meet with parents or guardians to provide information that will help students and parents integrate successfully into the Ontario school system;
- help families connect with services and agencies that can offer assistance they may need.
For students planning to attend a WCSDB school who are on a Visa (such as work permit of parent, study permit for self or parent), or are Permanent Resident applicants, please call the WCDSB’s Resource Development Office at 519-578-3660.